Re: [webcomponents] How about let's go with slots?

From: Philip Walton <philip@philipwalton.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 16:58:19 -0700
To: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>
Cc: Justin Fagnani <justinfagnani@google.com>, Daniel Freedman <dfreedm@google.com>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>, Scott Miles <sjmiles@google.com>, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>, "Edward O'Connor" <eoconnor@apple.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Arron Eicholz <arronei@microsoft.com>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
Pardon my question if this has been discussed elsewhere, but it's not clear
from my reading of the "slots" proposal whether they would be allowed to
target elements that are not direct children of the component.

I believe the with the `select` attribute this was implicitly required
because only compound selectors were supported (i.e. no child or descendent
combinators) [1].

Would named slots be able to target elements farther down in the tree?

[1]
http://w3c.github.io/webcomponents/spec/shadow/#dfn-content-element-select