Re: Imperative API for Node Distribution in Shadow DOM (Revisited)

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 15:32:00 -0700
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@chromium.org>, Hayato Ito <hayato@chromium.org>, Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>, Justin Fagnani <justinfagnani@google.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Erik Bryn <erik@erikbryn.com>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>, Steve Orvell <sorvell@google.com>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>

> On May 5, 2015, at 10:53 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 3:22 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com> wrote:
>> Where?  I have not yet to see a use case for which selective redistribution of nodes (i.e. redistributing only a non-empty strict subset of nodes from an insertion point) are required.
>
> Isn't that what e.g. <select> does? That is, <select> only cares about
> <option> and <optgroup> elements that are passed to it.

Or it could just distribute all the elements and have do:
```css
::content * { display:none; }
::content option, optgroup { display:block; }
```

Dimitri just added a document describing how we can turn partial distribution into whole distribution here (thanks Dimitri!):
https://github.com/w3c/webcomponents/blob/gh-pages/proposals/Partial-Redistributions-Analysis.md

- R. Niwa