Re: Imperative API for Node Distribution in Shadow DOM (Revisited)

On 04/25/2015 01:58 PM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:

>> On Apr 25, 2015, at 1:17 PM, Olli Pettay <olli@pettay.fi> wrote:

>>> I thought we came up with something somewhat simpler that didn't require adding an event or adding remove() for that matter:
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/annevk/e9e61801fcfb251389ef
>>

>> That is pretty much exactly how I was thinking the imperative API to work. (well, assuming errors in the example fixed)
>>
>> An example explaining how this all works in case of nested shadow trees would be good. I assume the more nested shadow tree just may get some
>> nodes, which were already distributed, in the distributionList.
>
> Right, that was the design we discussed.
>
>> How does the distribute() behave? Does it end up invoking distribution in all the nested shadow roots or only in the callee?
>
> Yes, that's the only reason we need distribute() in the first place.  If we didn't have to care about redistribution, simply exposing methods to
> insert/remove distributed nodes on content element is sufficient.
>
>> Should distribute callback be called automatically at the end of the microtask if there has been relevant[1] DOM mutations since the last manual
>> call to distribute()? That would make the API a bit simpler to use, if one wouldn't have to use MutationObservers.
>
> That's a possibility.  It could be an option to specify as well.  But there might be components that are not interested in updating distributed
> nodes for the sake of performance for example.  I'm not certain forcing everyone to always update distributed nodes is necessarily desirable given
> the lack of experience with an imperative API for distributing nodes.
>
>> [1] Assuming we want to distribute only direct children, then any child list change or any attribute change in the children might cause
>> distribution() automatically.
>
> I think that's a big if now that we've gotten rid of "select" attribute and multiple generations of shadow DOM.

It is not clear to me at all how you would handle the case when a node has several ancestors with shadow trees, and each of those want to distribute
the node to some insertion point.
Also, what is the use case to distribute non-direct descendants?