Re: [clipboard] Add RTF to the "mandatory data types" list?

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 22:26:26 +0200
To: Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <hsteen@mozilla.com>, "James M. Greene" <james.m.greene@gmail.com>
CC: Daniel Cheng <dcheng@chromium.org>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>

On 20/04/15 22:11, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen wrote:
> Would it be a possible compromise to let a script describe data as
> RTF, and then put said data on the clipboard with the OS's correct RTF
> data type labelling? And vice versa, if the script asks for RTF give
> it any RTF contents from the clipboard as raw (binary) data? Products
> and environments that desperately need clipboard RTF support could
> then implement their own parsers and converters in JS and write/read
> RTF - the rest of us avoid some browser bloat.. Is this level of
> "support" reasonable?
Is there any security consideration that we should be aware of here?
(e.g. embedded content)
If not, then I think there's no issue accepting this way.
If yes, then I guess there should be some sanitization process happening
since otherwise untrusted web-pages could insert in the clipboard
RTF-content that would reference external stuff that would be fetched
when pasted in.

paul