Re: FileSystem API Comments

22.10.2014, 12:32, "David Rajchenbach-Teller" <dteller@mozilla.com>:
> I don't see a contradiction.
> Each *web* app sees only files accessible from its domain (so your two
> apps have distinct "pic.jpeg").
> Each *native* app has access to whatever the operating system says.

There are a lot of use cases for sharing data with apps of *different* origins, although there is of course a more complex security story than when everything goes into a potentially opaque sandbox. (And to make the basic security story work it makes sense to have some level of opacity in the sandbox).

The lack of a mechanism to do so is a huge difference with native - I have directories in my filesystem that are autosynched to things online, but are also visible.

The idea behind web intents/activites/etc generalises obviously to remove the distinction between web and native - I should be able to use a web-based image manipulation tool on stuff in my filesystem. Or several.

At the moment that can be done in a somewhat hacky way by uploading files, manipulating them, then asking the user to save them back. But whereas I have mail clients that store each email message on the filesystem, so I can import stuff into a different program myself instead of having to go through a service provider, that doesn't work for web-based email systems even when those are designed to be functional offline.

etc etc.

cheers

Chaals