Re: Proposal for a Permissions API

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 10:23:38 -0700
To: public-webapps@w3.org
Hi,

Mounir wrote:

> Permissions API would be a single entry point for a web page to check
> if using API /foo/ would prompt, succeed or fail.

It would be a mistake to add such an API to the platform. A unified API
for explicit permissioning is an attractive nuisance which future spec
authors will be drawn to.

We should be avoiding adding features to the platform that have to
resort to explicit permissioning. Instead of adding features which
require prompting for permission, we should be designing features—like
drag & drop or <input type=file>—that don't require prompting for
permission at all.

I don't think much has changed since this last came up, in the context
of Notifications:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-notification/2012Mar/0029.html

Ted