Re: File API: reading a Blob

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 10:59:45 +0200
To: Aymeric Vitte <vitteaymeric@gmail.com>
Cc: Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Domenic Denicola <domenic@domenicdenicola.com>, Kyle Huey <me@kylehuey.com>, Joshua Bell <jsbell@google.com>
On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Aymeric Vitte <vitteaymeric@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to interfer then but your discussion with Arun seems to have no point
> if streams are there.

I don't follow.

> The fact is that most of the W3C groups impacted by streams (File,
> indexedDB, MSE, WebRTC, WebCrypto, Workers, XHR, WebSockets, Media Stream,
> etc, I must forget a lot here) seem not to care a lot about it and maybe
> just expect streams to land in the right place in the APIs when they are
> available, by some unknown magic.

Well, we need to sort out the fundamental abstraction first and that
is taking its time. Only then can we integrate it throughout the
system.

> I still think that the effort should start from now for all the APIs (as
> well as the implementation inside browsers, which apparently has started for
> Chrome, but Chrome was supposed to have started some implementation of the
> previous Streams APIs, so it's not very clear), and that it should be very
> clearly synchronized, disregarding vague assumptions from the groups about
> low/high level and Vx releases, eluding the issue.

Well, we are looking into it from an API perspective. Perhaps not all,
but we have had quite a bit of discussion (elsewhere, not here) how
streams should work with the new fetch() method. But again, I think as
with promises, we need the primitive first.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/