[xhr]

From: Robert Hanson <hansonr@stolaf.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 01:54:24 +0100
To: public-webapps@w3.org
[apologies for the multiple posting; it has taken me some time to sort out
exactly what the problem is here]

I wish to modify my request.

I respectively request that the wording of the warning on the pages
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/xhr/raw-file/default/xhr-1/Overview.html
and
http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/

be changed from

Warning: Developers must not pass false for the async argument when
the JavaScript
global environment
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/infrastructure.html#javascript-global-environment>
is a document environment
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/webappapis.html#document-environment>
as it has detrimental effects to the end user's experience. User agents are
strongly encouraged to warn about such usage in developer tools and may
experiment with throwing
<http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM4Core/#concept-throw> a "
InvalidAccessError
<http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/DOM4Core/#invalidaccesserror>" exception
when it occurs so the feature can eventually be removed from the platform.

Note: Developers should not pass false for the async argument when the
JavaScript
global environment
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/infrastructure.html#javascript-global-environment>
is a document environment
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/webappapis.html#document-environment>
as it has detrimental effects to the end user's experience. Developers are
advised that passing false for the *async *argument may eventually be
removed from the platform.

Thank you.

Bob Hanson
Principal Developer, Jmol//JSmol

I believe the current wording is in contradiction to the actual written
specification

I cite from RFC2119 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2119>:

1 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2119#section-1>. MUST   This word, or
the terms "REQUIRED" or "SHALL", mean that the
   definition is an absolute requirement of the specification.

--
Robert M. Hanson
Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900