Re: Screen Orientation Feedback

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:59:32 -0700
To: Rich Tibbett <richt@opera.com>
Cc: Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Tim Volodine <timvolodine@google.com>
On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 5:35 AM, Rich Tibbett <richt@opera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 11:33 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> I'm not arguing that we remove the relative angle that's in the spec
>> right now. I'm arguing that for device orientation events, we should
>> provide coordinates relative to the screen as well.
>
> This topic was filed as an issue against the DeviceOrientation spec in
> March (https://github.com/w3c/deviceorientation/issues/4).
>
> Interest from implementers is a strong indicator to proceed with such
> spec additions. Active implementer engagement around spec
> clarifications and additions is quite low right now.

Cool, if we can have this added to an updated DeviceOrientation spec
then that's definitely the best solution here.

Though the issue above seems to suggest that the spec would define
that the existing alpha/beta/gamma properties would be redefined to be
screen-relative rather than device relative. Is that really going to
be web compatible?

I don't think mozilla would feel comfortable leading with such a
change given our limited influence for mobile content. But if browsers
with bigger mobile marketshare make such a change we'd definitely
follow. Do you have any indication that there's interest in that?

A safer option seems to be to introduce
screenAlpha/screenBeta/screenGamma (or something similarly named) and
make those relative to the screen. That is something that I'm fairly
sure I can make happen in Gecko.

/ Jonas