Re: Fallout of non-encapsulated shadow trees

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 00:17:12 -0400
To: Brendan Eich <brendan@secure.meer.net>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org
On 7/2/14, 12:15 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:
> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> On 7/1/14, 9:13 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>>> Are you sure? Because Gecko has used XBL (1) to implement, e.g., <input
>>> type=file>, or so my aging memory says.
>>
>> We use XBL to implement <marquee>.
>
> Also <video> playback controls, per your next message.

That's correct, but that's a slightly different situation because the
XBL in that case is bound to an element that is internal anonymous
content (in the same way that the button inside an <input type="file">
is internal anonymous content) that the web page shouldn't have any
access to anyway.  The <marquee> case is interesting because the element
the XBL is attached to is in fact visible to the web page.

-Boris