Re: [request] "Download" Event for HTMLAnchorElement

On 3/25/14 12:14 PM, "Si Robertson" <retromodular@gmail.com> wrote:

>When a user decides to save a file that they have been working on in an
>application, the file data is typically a temporary serialized version of
>the file's state/model. Native
> applications will write the data directly to disk using an output stream
>but that isn't possible for a web application to do, so web applications
>need to generate the data in memory, as a blob, before presenting it to
>the user for downloading. After the download
> has been completed the data can be released from memory.
>

>If Glenn is correct and the data can be released/revoked as soon as the
>download begins, then that makes things a lot easier to deal with. No one
>wants huge blobs of redundant data floating around in memory
> for no reason, so manually revoking object URLs (which is something
>Mozilla et al recommends) is important.

That's one use case, but another is where the blob URL is the href in a
"static" anchor (i.e. not one generated solely to allow saving some data
that will be removed after it's used) and you want it to be downloadable
multiple times. In that case auto-revoking upon download doesn't work.

Brian

PS I've modified my message composition settings so I'm hoping this will
look better in the archives, but Mac Outlook doesn't offer a lot of
configurability around replies, so it might not.