Re: [request] "Download" Event for HTMLAnchorElement

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 8:10 PM, Si Robertson <retromodular@gmail.com>wrote:

> Allowing users to save/download a runtime-generated file with the use of
> object URLs and the anchor download attribute is the only viable way of
> doing things at the moment. Bouncing the file through a server isn't
> acceptable for web applications that are supposed to act like native apps.

You didn't quote anything, so I'm not sure what this is a reply to, but I
don't think anybody mentioned bouncing the file through a server.

> Ideally, the File API would provide a way for users to save a file, and
> I'm surprised this is still an issue. Writing a file to a user selected
> location is no less secure than allowing a user to download a file with an
> anchor.

As I mentioned earlier, the FileSaver API is defined but it hasn't been
implemented as far as I know, and it wouldn't necessarily actually solve
this problem.

--
Glenn Maynard