[request] "Download" Event for HTMLAnchorElement

From: Si Robertson <retromodular@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 00:30:04 +0000
To: public-webapps@w3.org
Hi guys,

This mailing list was suggested to me by one of the Chromium developers, so
I apologize in advance if this mailing list is not appropriate for this
request/proposal.

In a nutshell, I am asking for a "download" event to be dispatched from
anchor elements that support the "download" attribute.

ondownload="release(this)">download</a>

The problem that this new event would solve is this - when using a
temporary object URL (blob) for the file data, e.g. programmatically
generated content, there is currently no way of knowing when that file data
has been written to disk, therefore there is no reliable way of knowing
when it is safe to revoke the object URL in order to release resources.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Si Robertson