Re: [Editing] Splitting Selection API Into a Separate Specification

Web Applications Working Group,

With a Selections API in its own specification, discussion topics include:

Document Object Model

Range

Selection

HTMLRange : Range

HTMLSelection : Selection

Interfaces such as HTMLRange and HTMLSelection can extend Range and Selection to provide UI features, e.g. context menus and HTMLMenuElement.

Selections API topics include:

Attributes on ranges, selections.

Styling of ranges, selections.

Tooltips on ranges, selections.

Context menus on ranges, selections.

Scrolling to ranges, selections.

Navigating between ranges in a selection and between selections (e.g. tabIndex)

Hyperlinks to ranges, selections.

Canonical URI fragments for ranges, selections; extending default context menus on selections to clipboard hyperlinks which include the canonical URI fragment.

Hypertext content can utilize hyperlinks to ranges and selections to discuss relationships between selected content; see also: http://inference-web.org/ , http://www.w3.org/TR/prov-o/ , http://lurchmath.org/ .  Informative content can provide users with information about related ranges or selections with hyperlinks which scroll to ranges or selections and with effects on mouseover.

Other topics include visual indicators on scrollbars based on styled ranges and selections.

Kind regards,

Adam Sobieski