Re: On starting WebWorkers with blob: URLs...

* Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:40 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Mar 2014, Arun Ranganathan wrote:
>>> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#originOfBlobURL
>>
>> LGTM. Assuming that UAs implement this, that makes Workers automatically
>> support blob: URLs, too.
>
>I don't think this is the way we should go about this. I don't
>understand why a blob URL would have an origin. Simply fetching a blob
>URL will work and the response won't be tainted and therefore it
>should work. Trying to couple origins with strings seems like a bad
>idea.

The way RFC 6454 defines the concept, an origin is a string derived from
a resource identifier and one would expect 'blob' identifiers to have a
"globally unique identifier" as their origin, so having one is fine. But
it seems as proposed here, it would not be possible to derive the origin
based only on the 'blob' identifier, you rather need specific knowledge
about individual identifiers so that `blob:A` and `blob:B` end up as two
same-origin blobs. I think that is incompatible with the concept as it's
defined in RFC 6454, but then again, given the other problems with that,
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/websec/ln55YxWM-uRNdxRLu9-7YH9mN2k
the idea that "URLs" have "origins" may be the actual problem and we may
have to make some bigger conceptual changes to explain the rules.