Re: [Editing] Splitting Selection API Into a Separate Specification

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 18:36:48 -0700
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Ted O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>, Yoshifumi Inoue <yosin@chromium.org>
To: Domenic Denicola <domenic@domenicdenicola.com>
On Mar 13, 2014, at 5:08 PM, Domenic Denicola <domenic@domenicdenicola.com> wrote:

> From: Ryosuke Niwa [mailto:rniwa@apple.com]
>
>> Any thoughts and opinions?
>
> Have there been indications from vendors that they would have more resources to devote to implementing or critiquing the selection API if it were isolated into a smaller document? Is the idea that the surrounding text makes it harder to read the selection portion? I am curious how this separation would help the situation.

The separation helps move the selection API forward in the standards process.  The problem here is that reviewing and agreeing on exact details of execCommand and other parts of the existing HTML Editing APIs specification is significantly harder than just reviewing and agreeing on the part of the spec that defines the selection API.

- R. Niwa