Re: [fullscreen] Problems with mouse-edge scrolling and games

From: Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 14:58:47 +0100
To: Brandon Jones <bajones@google.com>
Cc: Ian Langworth <ian@artillery.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Thibaut Despoulain <thibaut@artillery.com>
On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

>>    - Inability to use DOM elements with mouse events for a game
>>    overlay/HUD.
>>
>> The test I've written here
> http://codeflow.org/issues/software-cursor.html also tests mouse event
> synthesis (as hinted at by an example in the pointerlock spec) and it works
> satisfactory in chrome and firefox on linux. To get all subtleties right
> one would also have to do most other mouse events I guess (mouseover,
> mouseout, mousemove etc.).

I did some more testing on this. Synthetic mouse events are limited in that
they cannot trigger some state like hover styles. Other things like
focus/blur require special handling. It's also left to the synthetic event
creator to synthesize compound events like over/out/enter/leave and their
semantic as supplying the primitive mouse events (click, mousemove) doesn't
automatically synthesize the others.