Re: [webcomponents] Encapsulation and defaulting to open vs closed (was in www-style)

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Daniel Freedman <dfreedm@google.com> wrote:
> The other hand of this argument is that components that wish to lock
> themselves down could write:
>
> this.shadowRoot = undefined;
>
> Of course, this does would not change the outcome of the Shadow Selector
> spec, which is why a flag for createShadowRoot or something would be
> necessary to configure the CSS engine (unless you're ok with having the
> existence of a property on some DOM object control CSS parsing rules).

There's nothing wrong with doing that, by the way.  The Selectors data
model is already based on DOM, for DOM-based documents.  I don't
currently specify how you know when an element in the selectors tree
has "shadow trees", but I can easily say that it's whatever's
reachable via the DOM properties in DOM-based documents.

~TJ