Re: XMLHttpRequest error events

Note that the non-cross-origin case is still the most common, and I have no
objections there. Returning to the cross-origin case:

Always inserting a delay of 30s would ruin the user experience when a
genuine transient failure occurs. Similarly, popping up a dialog box can
easily confuse/annoy the user. For example, the request could be a
background task of a web application, not related to the user's foreground
activity. Then only the web application knows how best to deal with the
failure, perhaps retrying after a delay or notifying the user in a softer
fashion and with an accompanying explanation.

For diagnostics in the cross-origin case, I would suggest a 'developer
flag' in the browser settings which lifts some or all of the security
restrictions, broadly similar to say "--allow-file-access-from-files" in
Chrome/Chromium today but preferably easier to enable. (It should be
accompanied by an obvious warning so that unwitting users can't be tricked
into enabling it.)

In case a user is having problems, a (trusted) support person could
instruct them to enable the flag just for the current session to obtain
diagnostics. If you want to make this even easier on the end user, you
could propose an API to be implemented in browsers which the web page could
call to "request permission to enable cross-origin diagnostics" for the
current browser session (say, for that browser tab, for as long as the user
remains within the same domain/origin). This would pop-up an informative
dialog explaining the risks. If the user denies it once, further requests
would be auto-denied for that session.

These are just some ideas, but if your proposal is to gain any traction,
you will have to seriously consider the cross-origin behavior.

Nick