Re: "W3C" XHR, was Re: [admin] Draft of updated charter available for review

On Jan 24, 2014 7:48 AM, "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 10:36 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> > > I don't recall any discussions about stopping the current work,
although
> > > I think it would be useful if the group's XHR Editors would provide a
> > > short status and plan.
> >

> > It would indeed be good. However, it would also be good to have a
broader discussion about what we do about the specs that have move to the
WHATWG (unless we already did that and I missed it). This whole snapshot
thing doesn’t feel like it’s working IMO.

> To be clear: I’m concerned that the last time the spec on TR was updated
was in 2012. That seems like a big failure to me, specially as when you
google for the spec, the on the TR comes up first. This means that most
people are looking at a grossly outdated spec if they click on the first
link.

I understand your concern. Indeed, we editors should have made it clearer
providing updates on the status and more importantly a new TR.

The goal of the snapshot version of the spec is clear. It aims to
standardize all widely implemented parts of the spec that are compatibly
supported across major implementations in a *timely* manner. Hence the
number one to-do is to enhance the pass ratio of the test suite [1] by
interacting with the implementors.

We'd planned to publish LC with the Level 1 spec [2] in a near-term after
the last TPAC but the changing publication policy recommends for us to take
more conservative approach in publishing LC.

That said, it seems necessary for us to publish a WD with [2] for now
before we'll get ready with the test results good enough for publishing LC.

Any comments would be appreciated.

[1] http://jungkees.github.io/XMLHttpRequest-test/
[2] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/xhr/raw-file/tip/xhr-1/Overview.html