Re: [editing] Leading with ContentEditable=Minimal

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 18:21:47 +0200
To: Julie Parent <jparent@google.com>
CC: "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, public-editing-tf@w3.org
On 17/06/2014 02:12 , Julie Parent wrote:
> If Intention events are (temporarily) moved out of scope, I think this
> leads us back to the question of what would contentEditable='minimal' do
> exactly?  Enable collapsed selections and default handling of cursor
> movement ... anything else?  If this is all it would do, then perhaps
> what we really want is an explicit API to enable cursors?

The way I see it, that is indeed *all* it would do (and serve as a
sanity flag so that browsers know how to handle this cleanly).

It *is* an explicit API to enable cursors. It has the advantage of
reusing an existing name so that we don't have to worry about what
happens when you specify both; and it's declarative because that's what
you want for such a case (notably so that CSS can style what's editable
cleanly).

We could rename it contentEditable=cursor if that's cleaner — the idea
is the same (and I certainly won't argue bikeshedding :).