Re: WebApp installation via the browser

From: Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 01:30:47 +1000
To: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
On Sat, 31 May 2014, at 10:40, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> I have a question about Use Cases for Installable WebApps located at
> https://w3c-webmob.github.io/installable-webapps/.
>
> Under section "Add to Homescreen", the document states:
>
>     ... giving developers the choice to tightly integrate their web
>     applications into the OS directly from the Web browser is
>     still somewhat new...
>
>     ... [Installable WebApps] are different in that the
>     applications are "installed" directly from the browser itself
>     rather than from an app store...
>
> It sounds like to me the idea is to allow any site on the internet to
> become a app store. My observations are the various app stores provide
> vendor lock-in and ensure a revenue stream. Its architected into the
> platform. Companies like Apple, Microsoft and RIM likely *won't* give
> up lock-in or the revenue stream (at least not without a fight).
>
> Are there any platforms providing the feature? Has the feature gained
> any traction among the platform vendors?

Isn't "Add to homescreen" feature something you can find in a more or
less advanced fashion on Safari iOS, Firefox Android, Firefox OS and
Chrome Android? I believe IE had something similar some time ago on
desktop but I don't know what's the current status of that. Chrome Apps
is also doing some experiments on desktop [1].

[1] https://plus.google.com/+FrancoisBeaufort/posts/74WCmneFJ8j

-- Mounir