Re: [gamepad] Haptic Feedback/Controller Vibration

On 4/4/2014 10:06 AM, Florian Bösch wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Kostiainen, Anssi
> <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com <mailto:anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>> wrote:
>
>     In the initial versions of the spec we indeed considered such
>     reuse. Here's my recent summary:
>

>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Apr/0002.html
>

> If you have a  navigator.gamepads and a navigator.vibrator how do you
> know which vibrator belongs to which gamepad? And do you want to end
> up with a navigator.forcefeedback, navigator.flightPedals,
> navigator.spacemice, navigator.hapticdevice, navigator.hotas,
> navigator.thrustquadrant, navigator.artificialHorizons,
> navigator.radioPanels, navigator.touchscreens, navigator.trimPanel,
> navigator.missileControl, navigator.steeringWheel,
> navigator.carPedals, navigator.racingWheel, navigator.gearStick,
> navigator.joyStick, navigator.etc? And how would you know which of
> those belong together into one device?
This is my last reply to you, because I don't think you're being
constructive. Anssi's posts were discussing the possibility of reusing
the Vibration *interface* in the Gamepad spec, such that we could
declare that "Gamepad implements Vibration", and wind up with a
Gamepad.vibrate method that works like navigator.vibrate. I don't know
if this is what we want to do, but it's worth investigating so we don't
reinvent the wheel if we don't have to.

-Ted