Re: [gamepad] Haptic Feedback/Controller Vibration

From: Ted Mielczarek <ted@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 11:19:28 -0400
To: Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>, Brandon Jones <bajones@google.com>
CC: Patrick Martin <patrick.martin.r@gmail.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 3/24/2014 3:55 PM, Florian Bösch wrote:

> I might point out that haptic feedback devices are alive and well:

<snip>

> There's a few more outputs than speakers though, for instance:

<snip>

I'd note that all of the devices you've mentioned fall way out of the
scope of what we're trying to cover with the Gamepad API. I'd like to
keep even future direction work pretty closely scoped to "things that
appear on standard Gamepad controllers". Trying to spec every input
device in existence will make the spec unworkable.

Spec'ing standard rumble motors that are found on all modern controllers
seems sensible. Spec'ing a way to access a microphone/speaker that's
present on a controller seems sensible. I think anything more
complicated than that is likely out of scope.

-Ted