RE: [editing] defaultParagraphSeparator

± From: Aryeh Gregor [mailto:ayg@aryeh.name]
± Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:37 AM
±
± Sorry for the delayed response -- I've been busy with other things and
± didn't have time to check my e-mail.  Thanks a lot for the feedback and
± questions!

Thanks for background, it helps a lot. I don't see a need to comment it by point so let me just reference it [1] and try to summarize.

1. There is no consensus on what the default should be. There are
2. It would be good to set it per contenteditable, but we are not sure
   how to express that.
3. There are no options other than <p> and <div> because there is no obvious
   reason why it would be useful. (my interpretation: if it is something that
   can't be done with a <div>, it probably wouldn't work as a default block
   element anyway).
4. Sometimes Enter inserts <br> or EOL character instead of a new element. That
   behavior is independent of the choice between <p> and <div> (but deserves
   a good definition too).

Is that a fair summary?

I think that main reason it's hard to get a consensus is that it is not clear what problem the feature is trying to solve...

If the only problem is the uncollapsed top border that annoyingly appears on first Enter - then it is an overkill to globally change what HTML element should represent a paragraph of text (if you saw it on paper, you would call it a paragraph, right?), just because it has a different default style.

I think a paragraph should be a paragraph, unless there is a semantic reason to use a different element for blocks. It is possible of course that I don't fully understand the motivation for P vs. Div choice... Are there other reasons for having this command that I don't see?

Thanks
Alex

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2013JanMar/0512.html