Re: exposing CANVAS or something like it to Web Workers

Chrome extensions have a background.html capability with a full dom; I've used those to prototype the concept. I've also used webkit's CSS fill (-webkit-canvas) in the mix.

A good deal of experimentation can be done there, prior to hacking up C++.