Re: Beacon API

Anne,

Some more details that should help to clarify:

You are right we would not need any progress events and you are also
typically not interested in the response. The server should normally reply
only with a no content reply. Conceptually this reply would not be needed,
however, HTTP requires it. You can think of this type of interaction like
sending an UDP packet. You want it to be send and delivered at best
effort.

// Alois

On 2/13/13 5:46 PM, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>
>wrote:
>> How interested is this working group in taking on such work in the XHR
>>Level
>> 2 specification?
>
>There's plans to develop a better API for XMLHttpRequest, that would
>be somewhat more object-oriented, use DOMFuture, etc., but reuse the
>same underlying architecture.
>
>I have started drafting the plan to define the underlying
>architecture: http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Fetch

>I'd prefer waiting with adding new features in networking land until
>that is sorted out, but I'm open to suggestions on how to proceed
>otherwise. Also, some more details with respect to expected
>functionality would be necessary. I assume for this object you would
>not need progress events or return values, but should the browser
>await a full HTTP response from the server anyway? Etc.
>
>Thanks!
>

>--
>http://annevankesteren.nl/

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Compuware Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Vienna whose registered office is at 1120 Wien, Austria, Am Euro Platz 2 / Gebäude G.