Re: Proposal: moving tests to GitHub

On 23/01/2013 13:01 , Arthur Barstow wrote:
> Before we start a CfC to change WebApps' agreed testing process
> [Testing], please make a clear proposal regarding the submission
> process, approval process, roles, etc. as is defined in [Testing] and
> its references. (My preference is for you to document the new process,
> expectations, etc. in WebApps' Public wiki, rooted at
> <http://www.w3.org/wiki/Webapps/>).

I'll leave that to Odin since he's been driving this, but I'll be happy
to comment and help.

> Also, what is the expectation regarding [Framework]? Does your proposal
> include still using it? If yes, will there be automagic mirroring of
> github changes to w3c-test.org?

We shouldn't mix using w3c-test.org and using the current framework. The
former we definitely keep on using — we're right now working on the sync
from our TS to that server.

The framework I think was a proof of concept but has endemic problems
(one of which being that it is painful and costly to maintain). I know
we can do much better. I'll bang my head with that of a number of other
people and I'm sure we'll come up with something. This, however, is
orthogonal to the GitHub reorg. You can keep using the existing
framework after the GitHub move, and it would still have the same
problems if we don't move.