Re: File Save As

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 11:22 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 1:33 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> This, I agree is a problem.
>
> The semantic used by countless applications and which is an extremely well
> established UX pattern is:
>
> - First "Save" -> Open Save As dialog
> - Subsequent "Save" -> overwrite previous location
> - Any "Save As" -> Always opens a Save As dialog

An even more common flow is:

- Initial "Open" -> Open "Open" dialog
- Subsequent "Save" -> overwrite previous location
- Any "Save As" -> Always opens a Save As dialog

However the flow you are describing is quite interesting. It would
likely be easier to build UI for. But I think it only solves half of
the problem since it doesn't solve the flow I'm describing.

... but solving half of the problem might be better than not solving any of it.

/ Jonas