Re: Kickoff application manifest work

On 19 Jun 2013, at 07:59, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 06:56:13 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Marcos Caceres <mcaceres@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>> The current proposal can be found here:
>>> http://manifest.sysapps.org/
>>
>> I wonder to what extent we actually need a manifest. I think it's main
>> benefit might be in grouping a set of pages, but whether that needs to
>> be via a manifest I'm less sure about.
>
> I think pretty much any mechanism that groups pages *is* a manifest. There are lots of ways to make them, but given that most shipping solutions have converged on something that looks a lot like the W3C widgets manifest format (in XML), or something in JSON that is very similar, it seems reasonable to assume that isn't a bad starting point.

Its certainly been the usual end point, whether its Java's MANIFEST.MF, imsmanifest.xml for training content, or container.xml for ePub.

Given how similar they are it still amazes me how many different ones keep being invented.

If I contributed to the app manifest work, it would mainly be to make sure I could easily convert them into either Widgets or OpenSocial, whichever is the best fit, given Apache has projects implementing both of those specs already.

>> A requirement that keeps coming back for web applications (i.e. those
>> served in a browser over HTTP, such as https://www.twitter.com/ ) is
>> that multiple of them per origin should be supported.
>
> Yes.

For portals, e.g. Apache Rave, the approach is often to generate per-instance origins, e.g. gadget-122423534534.myportal.net/apps/gadgetx, to prevent XSS attacks. Rave, Shindig and Wookie all support this.