Re: Bringing other Web Components specs into HTML

On 14/06/2013 19:26 , Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2013, Dirk Schulze wrote:
>> On Jun 14, 2013, at 6:41 AM, "Robin Berjon" <robin@w3.org> wrote:
>>> now that <template> is in HTML, I was wondering if some of the other
>>> specs needed the same treatment.
>>
>> Some of the specs can be relevant for other specifications as well.
>> Unless you don't want to integrate the whole web stack (SVG, MathML,
>> ...) into the HTML spec, some things should be separated from HTML.
>
> I think the main deciding factor should be who is going to maintain the
> text once in the future. With <template>, presumably that's now us (HTML
> spec editors). For most Web component stuff, I assume it's still Dimitri
> and company. Thus they should probably stay in separate specs.

That certainly works for me, I'll look at which hooks are needed. It's
certain that the remain Web Component specs don't have anywhere near the
level of monkey patching that <template> has.

> If it wasn't for that, I would indeed be arguing for merging the entire
> Web stack into a single document (called "The Web"). That's certainly how
> it's implemented, and it would fix a lot of problems with have with things
> falling between the cracks. (See, e.g., how much of an improvement we made
> to that kind of thing when we merged DOM HTML and HTML.)

Yes, that would be a good idea. In fact I'm convinced the result would
be more modular than separate documents since it's much easier to
refactor inside of a given project. I reckon it's doable, too.