Re: webcomponents: <import> instead of <link>

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> Apparently I wasn't clear enough before.
>
> We shouldn't add dynamically updating imports of components just
> because we're choosing to reuse <link>. We add dynamic imports if
> there are use cases.

I agree, but I am not stressed either way.

Making imports dynamic is the least work, since we simply follow how
<link> works in all other cases.

Making imports non-dynamic is just a matter of a
"have-I-ever-been-an-import" flag per <link>, and that's also quite
easy.

> So far no-one has presented any use cases.
>
> And IMO we shouldn't treat <link rel=import> as "dynamic" by enabling
> it to point to new URLs to import additional components while still
> leaving the old components in place. That seems like very confusing
> behavior and introduces a lot of edge cases. We (or at least I) did
> intentionally not make <script src> work this way since it just felt
> confusing. It's not a lot of overhead to ask people to simply create a
> new <link> element.

I am fine with making <link> non-dynamic in spec, at least for now.
I'll repurpose Morrita-san's bug for that.

:DG<