Re: [webcomponents]: Declarative Custom Elements Take Umpteen, The Karate Kid Edition

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>wrote:

> Today, scripting engines in browsers return the value of the script
> that was executed the <script> block. This value is then promptly
> dropped on the floor by respective rendering engine. But what if it
> wasn't?

This is called the completion value. The only way the completion value is
observable in ES5 is using eval. The good thing is that we are improving it
for ES6.

> What if instead, we taught the rendering engine to hold on to the last
> value, returned by the executed <script> block, and only discarded it
> at the microtask checkpoint?

No need. GC will clean it when it is not reachable any more.

This seems pretty nice. And it works with ES6 syntax:

> <element name="foo-bar">
>    <script>
>        class FooBar {
>        };
>    </script>
> </element>

Allen, correct me if I'm wrong but the completion value of ClassDeclaration
is undefined (just like for VariableDeclaration).

--
erik