Re: ZIP archive API?

On May 3, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

>> platforms, but it matters a great deal
>> on underpowered devices such as mobiles.
>
> Show me some numbers to back this up and you'll have me convinced :)
>
> Remember that on underpowered devices native code is proportionally slower too.

The word around town is that asm.js takes about 2x longer than native compiled code.

So if we're looking at inflate and deflate, you've got that metric, and you have the memory and bandwidth overhead of including a js-based inflate deflate library and maintaining whatever licensing it comes with.

Basic zip construction without compression is trivial to support in JS, and in some cases, it's desirable if you're targeting specific cases where the file format uses some magic numbers.

-Charles