Re: [Shadow DOM] Simplifying level 1 of Shadow DOM

On Apr 30, 2013, at 12:07 PM, Daniel Freedman <dfreedm@google.com> wrote:

> I'm concerned that if the spec shipped as you described, that it would not be useful enough to developers to bother using it at all.

I'm concerned that we can never ship this feature due to the performance penalties it imposes.

> Without useful redistributions, authors can't use composition of web components very well without scripting.
> At that point, it's not much better than just leaving it all in the document tree.

I don't think having to inspect the light DOM manually is terrible, and we had been using shadow DOM to implement textarea, input, and other elements years before we introduced node redistributions.

On May 1, 2013, at 8:57 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's difficult to understand without working through examples
> yourself, but removing these abilities does not make Shadow DOM
> simpler, it just makes it much, much weaker.

It does make shadow DOM significantly simpler at least in the areas we're concerned about.

- R. Niwa