Re: [webcomponents]: de-duping in HTMLImports

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Scott Miles <sjmiles@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM, Angelina Fabbro <
> angelinafabbro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > I don't believe it's *needed* exactly, but we imagined somebody wanting
>> to import HTML, use it destructively, then import it again.
>>
>> That does sound totally crazy. Can you give an example as to what someone
>> might want to do with this? Maybe it's not totally crazy and I'm just not
>> being creative enough.
>>

> You have to assume some facts not in evidence, but imagine an import that
> runs script and generates content based on the current time, or some other
> dynamic. Then imagine a page injects a link tag, based on some event, to
> import the latest content.

Querystring parameters could be used for de-duplication-busting.
Unfortunately that will also be cache-busting.

> >>Then I guess I need this spec'd :)
>>
>> I'd rather de-duping be a nice optimization performed by the user-agent
>> and hidden from me entirely. Although, now I'm really curious about an
>> argument for opting out of de-duping.
>>

> If there is no automatic de-duping then the author has to take care to
> specifically avoid duplication in various cases. Therefore, it cannot be an
> optimization, in the sense that it's not optional. It has to be required by
> the spec or you cannot rely on it.

I believe de-duplication should be required by the spec, since the effects
of de-duping are very visible--mutations to the imported document will be
present or not depending on whether it was de-duped or not.

--
<http://goto.google.com/dc-email-sla>