Re: [webcomponents]: Of weird script elements and Benadryl

I think Allen's post further down lays out my case better than I did, so
I'm just trying to clean up.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 2:06 PM, John J Barton
> <johnjbarton@johnjbarton.com> wrote:
>
> >> The way <element> should work is like this:
> >> a) when </element> is seen
> >> b) generate a constructor for this element
> >

> > b) call the nominated ctor, new FooBar(elt).
> >
> > I'm unclear on the practical advantages the instance inheriting from
> > HTMLElement (new FooBar(), prototype inherits) vs manipulating the
> element
> > from the outside (new FooBar(elt), prototype Object).
>
> I completely didn't get that, but it sounds like a slightly different
> topic?

Perhaps; I'll try another thread.

> >> b) run document.register
> >> c) run initialization code
> >>
> >>  As I see it, the problem is twofold:
> >>
> >> 1) The <script> element timing is weird. Since <script> is
> >> initialization code, it has to run after the </element> is seen. This
> >> is already contrary to a typical <script> element expectations.
> >

> > Why? new FooBar() has to be called, but the outer init is anytime before
> > that.
>
> We're not calling new FooBar anywhere in here. All the <element> does
> is registers a custom element with the parser and blesses it to be a
> real DOM object.

See Allen's post.

> >> 2) The <script> element needs a way to refer to the custom element
> >> prototype it is initializing. Enclosing it in a function and calling
> >> it with <element> as |this| seemed like a simplest thing to do, but
> >> Rick and John had allergic reactions and had to be hospitalized.
> >

> > For me its the implicit declarative binding + wired in to 'this' that
> makes
> > the
> > original solution very magical and inflexible. I can understand ensuring
> > that
> > a component can be self-contained, but cannot understand why it needs an
> > ordered and hierarchical when <script> isn't rendered.
>
> The |this| hack was just a way to solve the problem of connecting
> <element> and <script> somehow. I am not sure understand what you're
> saying (suggesting?) here, either :)

I'm saying 1) I don't like the hack, 2) I appreciate that entirely
conventional solutions will not solve all your issues.