Paths exposed in input type=file (was: Re: Moving File API: Directories and System API to Note track?)

On 09/20/2012 11:45 PM, Darin Fisher wrote:

> File path information is already exposed via <input type=file multiple>.
>
> "File names may contain partial paths."
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/states-of-the-type-attribute.html#concept-input-type-file-selected

I couldn't get any actual browser to expose paths in this way. Did I
miss something? It also seems to be encouraging wilful violation of the
FileAPI spec which clearly states that File objects don't return path
info [1].

Having a may-level conformance criterion that supposes to override a
must-level criterion in another spec, but no strong compat. requirement,
doesn't seem like the optimum path to interoperability or sanity of
people trying to understand and implement the platform. Is there any
reason this paragraph shouldn't be considered a bug in HTML?

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#dfn-file