Re: Moving File API: Directories and System API to Note track?

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Adam Barth wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds good to me.
>>
>> Indeed. We are not enthusiastic about implementing an API that has to
>> traverse directory trees as this has significant technical challenges, or
>> may expose user's path names, as this has security implications. Also AIUI
>> this API is not a good fit for all platforms.
>
> There's nothing in the spec that exposes user paths.  That's just FUD.

I was thinking specifically of the combination of this and Drag and Drop
and this API. I assumed that at some level one would end up with a bunch
on Entry objects which seem to expose a path. It then seems that then a
user who is tricked into dragging their root drive onto a webapp would
expose all their paths.

It is quite possible that this is a horrible misunderstanding of the spec,
and if so I apologise. Nevertheless I think it's poor form to immediately
characterise an error as a deliberate attempt to spread lies.

In any case my central point remains which is that would support this spec
moving off the Rec. track at this time.