Re: [UndoManager] Disallowing live UndoManager on detached nodes

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> It is not worse either way. Equally bad both ways. But, we're designing a
>>> new API here, so we should make the API as good as possible from the start.
>>> And I think that means allowing multiple undo stack must be in. The
>>> default handling could be somehow platform specific.
>>

>> Maybe I didn't make this point clear but we're not going to implement
>> multiple undo managers in a single document (at least as it's currently
>> spec'ed) in WebKit regardless of how useful that feature is. Our
>> implementation feedback is that we can't implement it.
>

> I'm a bit confused: first you said that UndoManager's default behavior
> should be able to represent the platform's native convention (which means
> handling Windows's undo-stack-per-input-field), and then that you're
> effectively not going to implement anything but OSX's behavior (single undo
> stack).  I'm probably missing something since I'm not familiar enough with
> UndoManager; can you clarify?

Right. Would it be possible for webkit to implement undoscope using a
global undo manager? I.e. the global undo manager would be the one
holding references to nodes, and the undoscope attribute is
effectively only provides some API as well as affects which nodes are
observed for automatic transactions.

/ Jonas