Re: [UndoManager] Disallowing live UndoManager on detached nodes

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 7:36 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Ryosuke also raised the possibility of multiple text fields having
>> separate UndoManagers. On Mac, most apps wipe they undo queue when you
>> change text field focus. WebKit preserves a single undo queue across text
>> fields, so that tabbing out does not kill your ability to undo. I don't
>> know of any app where you get separate switchable persistent undo queues.
>> Thins are similar on iOS.
>>

> Firefox in Windows has a separate undo list for each input.  I would find
> a single undo list strange.

Internet Explorer and WebKit don't.

While we're probably all biased to think that what we're used to is the
best behavior, it's important to design our API so that implementors need
not to violate platform conventions. In this case, it might mean that
whether text field has its own undo manager by default depends on the
platform convention.

- Ryosuke