Re: [IndexedDB] Problems unprefixing IndexedDB

On 8/9/12 10:56 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 8/9/12 10:47 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:
>> Meanwhile, pages will continue to work in other browsers that do this
>> more sensibly.
>
> The main other option is basically to never drop the prefixed version,
> ever, which is what said "other browsers" actually do in practice.

Or to make this more clear:  As one of the few UAs that actually drops
prefixed versions, we have tried dropping them after a deprecation
period and we have tried dropping them immediately.  So we have some
actual experience with this sort of thing.  And in our experience, if
the prefixed property wasn't available for very long, dropping it
immediately leads to fewer problems than does dropping it after a
deprecation period.  Of course if the property was available for a while
and is widely used (-moz-opacity comes to mind), a deprecation period
does help ameliorate things somewhat.

-Boris