Re: [UndoManager] Re-introduce DOMTransaction interface?

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi> wrote:
>> On 07/05/2012 08:00 AM, Adam Barth wrote:

>>> I haven't tested, by my reading of the MutationObserver implementation
>>> in WebKit is that it leaks.  Specifically:
>>>
>>> MutationObserver --retains--> MutationCallback --retains-->
>>> some_callback_function_object --retains--> MutationObserver
>>>
>>> I don't see any code that breaks this cycle.
>>
>> Ok. In Gecko cycle collector breaks the cycle. But very much an
>> implementation detail.
>>
>>> DOM events
>>
>> Probably EventListeners, not Events.
>>
>>> have a bunch of delicate code to avoid break these
>>> reference cycles and avoid leaks.  We can re-invent that wheel here,
>>
>> Or use some generic approach to fix such leaks.
>>
>>> but it's going to be buggy and leaky.
>>
>> In certain kinds of implementations.
>>
>>> I appreciatie that these jQuery-style APIs are fashionable at the
>>> moment, but API fashions come and go.  If we use this approach, we'll
>>> need to maintain this buggy, leaky code forever.
>>
>> Implementation detail. Very much so :)
>
> Right, my point is that this style of API is difficult to implement
> correctly, which means authors will end up suffering low-quality
> implementations for a long time.

Callbacks are indeed hard to implement. But it's something that you
already must have solved when implementing event listeners. Ryosuke's
point seems to be that this is a callback with two callback methods
rather than one, which doesn't affect memory management at all.

/ Jonas