Re: Quota Management API error codes

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Jochen Eisinger <jochen@chromium.org>
> wrote:
> > while reading
> http://www.w3.org/TR/quota-api/#quota-handling-in-storage-api
> > I wondered what the desired behavior was when the UA refuses to grant any
> > quota? I think it would be nice to specify this in the standard.
> >
> > E.g. currently WebKit will throw a QuotaExceeded exception when a page
> tries
> > to write to DOM storage when DOM storage is disabled, while Firefox
> throws a
> > Security exception on any access to DOM storage. These inconsistencies
> make
> > it difficult for website authors to write apps that work when the user
> > configured the UA to disable certain APIs
>
> That should (and is) defined in the standards that use the storage
> (such as Web Storage) as it very much depends on the API what the
> right solution is.

Sorry for being unclear.

I would like to see the standard to include what happens when a page
requests quota using requestQuota, but the UA doesn't fulfill the request
because of some user configured policies (and not because it's just not
possible).

This would allow a web site to display a more sensible message to the user
(e.g. "please enable storage" vs "your harddrive seems to be full")

 -jochen