Re: [XHR] responseType "json"

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

> * Jarred Nicholls wrote:
> >This is an editor's draft of a spec, it's not a recommendation, so it's
> >hardly a violation of anything.  This is a 2-way street, and often times
> >it's the spec that needs to change, not the implementation.  The point is,
> >there needs to be a very compelling reason to breach the contract of a
> >media type's existing spec that would yield inconsistent results from the
> >rest of the web platform layers, and involve taking away functionality
> that
> >is working perfectly fine and can handle all the legit content that's
> >already out there (as rare as it might be).
>
> You have yet to explain how you propose Webkit should behave, and it is
> rather unclear to me whether the proposed behavior is in line with the
> existing HTTP, MIME, and JSON specifications. A HTTP response with

> for instance must not be treated as ISO-8859-15 encoded as there is no
> charset parameter for the application/json media type, and there is no
> other reason to treat it as ISO-8859-15, so it's either an error, or
> you silently ignore the unrecognized parameter.

I think the spec should clarify this.  I agree with Glenn Maynard's
proposal: if a server sends a specific charset to use that isn't UTF-8, we
should explicitly reject it, never decode or parse the text and return
null.  Silently decoding in UTF-8 when the server or author is dictating
something different could cause confusion.

> --
> Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
> Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
> 25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

*Sencha*
Jarred Nicholls, Senior Software Architect
@jarrednicholls
<http://twitter.com/jarrednicholls>