Re: [webcomponents] HTML Parsing and the <template> element

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 2:45 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > A call like "document.querySelectorAll('p')" doesn't *want* to get the
>
> I think it's backwards to assume that querySelectorAll() works a
> particular way and that's that's not what authors want and to change
> the DOM in response.

You could make this argument about any assumption anyone makes anywhere
which in any way adds features.

<template> is a pretty fundamentally different use of the DOM from existing
practices and it seems like violations of existing rules are likely.

That said, is a best practice here to put <template> in the <head> if web
developers are inclined to inline the template declaration? At least then
you can rely on document.body.querySelectorAll(). That seems like the
cleanest approach from a developer's perspective and is consistent with
practices like putting embedded CSS in the <head>.

Alec