Re: Clipboard API spec should specify beforecopy, beforecut, and beforepaste events

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> If we _do_ decide to specify them then their interaction with script
> running inside the events that changes the focus needs to be very carefully
> specified, since changing focus will change what cut/copy/paste behavior.
>  I would also need to see some _really_ convincing use cases.

I recall moving focus for paste events in order to figure out what is being
pasted. I believe this is common in WYSIWYG editors; a new element is
created and focus is moved to that element, then the paste occurs, then the
element is inspected for the content and the editor does whatever it needs
to (like cleaning up junk from pasted Word documents). Obviously if there
was a cleaner way to get the contents, like Microsoft APIs for accessing
the clipboard, then this wouldn't be needed.