Re: Call for Contributors: TAG's Web App Storage work [Was: Re: TAG Comment on Web Storage]

I should also clarify that the TAG itself has not at this point reached
consensus on the goals or scope for any work we might do in the storage
area, though we have given Ashok an action to investigate what, if
anything, might be useful.

One possible direction would be for the TAG to do what it has done in some
other areas, which is to clarify architectural principles relating to
client-side storage in general. E.g., the TAG might discuss tradeoffs and
good practice relating to cases in which the information stored locally is
also a representation of a resource available on the network (thing of an
architecture in which e-mails can be accessed via URI from an online Web
server, or can be stored locally for offline access.) Such consideration by
the TAG might well not suggest any changes to plans for APIs, but might
just suggest good practice for use by applications.

Conversely, the TAG might decide to become involved in other questions,
such as those that might follow from our recent last call comment [1]
regarding the relationship between appcache and Web Storage.

In any case, except for the decision to make that one last-call comment,
the TAG has not reached consensus as to what work we might do relating to
client-side storage.

Noah Mendelsohn
TAG co-chair

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Nov/0070.html