Re: Behavior Attachment Redux, was Re: HTML element content models vs. components

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, Dirk Pranke wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > If an author invents a new element, it doesn't matter what it inherits
> > from. It won't have fallback behaviour, it won't have semantics that
> > can be interpreted by search engines and accessibility tools, it won't
> > have default renderings, and it won't allow for validation to catch
> > authoring mistakes. I don't see what inheritance has to do with
> > anything here.
>
> Ian, apologies if you have answered this before and I haven't seen it,
> but a (fairly brief) query didn't turn up anything for me: when is it
> okay to create new elements? Obviously, we created a bunch for HTML 5
> that don't have fallback behavior ...

Most of the elements that have been added to HTML over the past five years
actually have a pretty good fallback behaviour. For example, <progress>'s
contents show in legacy UAs but not new UAs:

   <progress value=45 max=100> 45% complete </progress>

...so there's no loss of semantics or accessibility, it just doesn't look
as pretty.

> It seems like it would be helpful to distinguish between "new" elements
> that can be reasonably mapped onto existing elements' semantics and
> elements that cannot; perhaps we can agree that elements should be
> reused where possible, but that there should also be mechanism for
> defining new elements otherwise?

Sometimes <div> or <span> is the most appropriate element, sure. Hopefully
we can dramatically minimise those cases.