Re: Standards for Web applications on mobile devices: August 2011 updates

 Hi Dom,

Thank you for continuing to keep the document up to date. This document is very helpful.

I have request: can you please ungroup Widgets and HTML's ApplicationCache? They are conceptually different things and have different use cases.

Widgets are a way to zip up a bunch of HTML, CSS, and JS files that constitute an "installable application" (or some such). That is, something someone might want to distribute to keep.

ApplicationCache is cache control thing: it does not "package" a Web Application; just makes some resources available from the cache (potentially for off-line use). The end user has not control over it and the author can shut it off at any point. The author cannot take the application away "packaged" in some format.

IMO, keeping them together will lead to confusion. The use cases are different: a widget can embed content that uses ApplicationCache, as well as load in proprietary APIs (e.g., WAC). It can be used for defining other classes of applications and formats (e.g., Opera Extensions). So, it's not really logical, IMO, to lump them together.

If I've convinced you, when you split Widgets and ApplicationCache from the packaging section, can you please add View Mode Media Feature, Widget URI, and the Widget Interface, and Widget updates to the list (as they are a standard part of Widgets and implemented across some user agents… see implementation reports where available).

Many thanks!

Marcos

--
Marcos Caceres